Monday, September 18

Stockholm, Sweden

After a long train ride from Denmark, over the 7.8km Øresund Bridge (the longest in Europe) I made it to Stockholm, Sweden. After a switch in Malmö, Sweden, I hopped on the high-speed X2000 train to Stockholm, four and a half hours away. Through the countryside wild cows, sheep, horses and deer were plentiful, but human population was not. The past two countries (Nederland and Denmark) were very flat and I was pleased to finally see a little elevation near Stockholm.

Again, I am very very pressed for time in my new city, and unlike Copenhagen, Stockholm is huge, including all of the city's 16 islands and 12,000 offshore. Nonetheless, I couldn't dwell on the present as I proceeded to see the city. The ocean was nice to see, and the numerous bridges spanning the plethora of different waterways was gorgeous. Stockholm is a bustling metropolis with a lot of charm and splendor. Absolutely gorgeous, built on an archipelago, with grand buildings everywhere. A harbor sprinkled with boats in Scandanavia could only envoke thoughts of Vikings and then I saw a Viking ship, although a tourist cruise ship, still reiterated my thoughts. A nice walk through the Gamla Stan, the old town situated on an island connected by bridges, revealed narrow, cobblestone streets filled with shops and restaurants. Now I knew this city was a gem. Its too bad I didn't get to go on a boat tour or climb the city hall's 209m of steps to gaze down on the city. Tomorrow morning I depart for Poland.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Office Depot
Web Page Counter

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a
Creative Commons Attribution-No Derivative Works 2.5 License.