Friday, October 13

Zurich, Switzerland

I have a 7-hour layover here waiting for my train and the hostel is full. Sleeping on the street, literally, is really my only option. Oh why don't I just sleep in the train station you ask? Well, in Zurich they shut it for the night from 0200-0600...super. Its very cold out but it's my only option. After finding a nice place to sleep next to the River for a few hours I woke up shivering and probably a little hypothermic. I tried to walk around to warm up and stood near the locked metro station to get a little heat. By this time all the bars and restaurants were closed, so that wasn't an option. After warming up slightly I figured my best bet was just to go back to sleep somewhere to make the time go faster. I found a nice little alleyway and slept behind a van, on the ground, waking every hour until the train station opened. When I finally got up I knew I had hypothermia. I made my way to the train station, shaking from low body temperature, and jumped on the train, shivering the whole ride...now I have a lot more empathy for the homeless.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Office Depot
Web Page Counter

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a
Creative Commons Attribution-No Derivative Works 2.5 License.