Friday, October 6

Split and Zagreb, Croatia

Back in Split I hung out with Ashley from Calgary (met her on the boat from Hvar) and saw a little bit of Split's old town waiting for my bus to Zagreb, Croatia. Super cool girl, almost persuading me in staying in Split for the night, but I am on a mission, and Slovenia is calling. After a kiss-kiss goodbye I hopped on the 6-hour bus to Croatia's capital: Zagreb.
The bus ride, travelling away from the coast brought me to different topography. Limestone cliffs with the road being built on loose limestone foundation. High bridges and deep tunnels. For example, Tunnel Mala Kapela was 5500m long. Future mental note: don't drink beer on long bus rides with no WC. My teeth were floating!
Zagreb wasn't a destination just a transition point from bus to train as there are no trains along the Montenegran and Croatian coast. I took the tram from the bus station to the train station in Zagreb and luckily there was a train departing for Ljubijana, Slovenia in 45 minutes. Just outside the train station there were most of the city's public parks so I got to see a little bit of the city which in turn had a really cool vibe.
On the train to Ljubijana I sat with a bunch of Americans and Canadians who were studying in Vienna and who were amazed by my stories from on the road (they apparently were sheltered and haven't backpacked before). There were only travelling for the weekend to Croatia. Nonetheless, they were good company and I made a contact with Alexi from Vancouver in case I want to go skiing this winter. I arrived in Ljubijana and encountered heavy rain. Not good since I hadn't booked a hostel yet.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Office Depot
Web Page Counter

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a
Creative Commons Attribution-No Derivative Works 2.5 License.